As part of our commitment to creating a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion within our community (as well as the larger creative community), every six months we offer a mentorship opportunity to creative business owners. (Learn more about our community values.)
The goal of this program is to increase access to legal resources to non-white, non-straight, non-cis, and/or non-enabled creative business owners so they can grow their businesses.
The mentorship includes:
- 6-months free membership in the artist’s Courtyard at the Brain Trust with a Guide level
- 6-month option to continue membership at the Brain Trust with a Guide level on a sliding scale basis ($0-22/month)
- Lifetime access to the artist’s Courtyard private online community
During the 6-months free membership, we will have weekly themes to guide participants in securing key areas of their business’ legal foundation.
- Creating a simple business plan
- Picking the right legal type
- Creating a legal documents folder
- Determining what permits and licenses your business needs
- Setting up your business finances
- Playing Mad Libs to create a simple terms of service
- Leveraging content created by clients and customers
- Getting business liability insurance
- Creating profitable collaborations
- Creating a simple contract
- Protecting your creations
- Dealing with copycats
- Building your team
And to help participants take action, they’ll have access to:
- a weekly lesson that breaks down the necessary legal information and provides tools and resources
- a private discussion board accessible only to other mentorship participants to connect, leave questions, get feedback, or share roadblocks
- a monthly session that will be part Q&A, part flash mastermind, part breakout session where we’ll dive deeper into any challenges, questions, and roadblocks
(Weekly lesson videos are closed captioned and include a separate written transcript. Monthly sessions will be offered with live captions and recorded and posted after the session with closed captions.)
How to apply
- Fill out the form below.
- The current application period is open until August 14, 2020.
- Notification of selection will be sent by August 21, 2020.
- The total number of mentorship participants for this application period will be 10.
You can read the full rules/criteria here.