As part of our commitment to creating a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion within our community (as well as the larger creative community), every six months we offer a mentorship opportunity to creative business owners. (Learn more about our community values.)
The goal of this program is to increase access to legal resources to non-white, non-straight, non-cis, and/or non-enabled creative business owners so they can grow their businesses.
The mentorship includes:
- 6-months free membership in the artist’s Courtyard at the Brain Trust with a Guide level
- 6-month option to continue membership at the Brain Trust with a Guide level on a sliding scale basis ($0-22/month)
- Lifetime access to the artist’s Courtyard private online community
During the 6-months free membership, we will have weekly themes to guide participants in securing key areas of their business’ legal foundation.
- Creating a simple business plan
- Picking the right legal type
- Creating a legal documents folder
- Determining what permits and licenses your business needs
- Setting up your business finances
- Playing Mad Libs to create a simple terms of service
- Leveraging content created by clients and customers
- Getting business liability insurance
- Creating profitable collaborations
- Creating a simple contract
- Protecting your creations
- Dealing with copycats
- Building your team
And to help participants take action, they’ll have access to:
- a weekly lesson that breaks down the necessary legal information and provides tools and resources
- a private discussion board accessible only to other mentorship participants to connect, leave questions, get feedback, or share roadblocks
- a monthly session that will be part Q&A, part flash mastermind, part breakout session where we’ll dive deeper into any challenges, questions, and roadblocks
(Weekly lesson videos are closed captioned and include a separate written transcript. Monthly sessions will be offered with live captions and recorded and posted after the session with closed captions.)
How to apply
- Fill out the form below.
- The current application period is open until March 14, 2021.
- Notification of selection will be sent by March 31, 2021.
- The total number of mentorship participants for this application period will be no less than 10, but determined on March 14, 2021 based on the number of current paid monthly members of the artist’s Courtyard.
You can read the full rules/criteria here.